Check out EK Jewelers in Gillette, Wyoming for all your opal jewelry needs. We can create a custom opal piece that is sure to stun your loved one.
It symbolizes faithfulness and confidence, and is the October birthstone. What is it? The opal.
Opals are jewels that seem to magically change color. In fact, opals are a type of quartz that forms tiny spheres of amorphous hydrated silica; its water content makes it prone to cracking. When the light hits those spheres, a variety of colors appear. In different lights, an opal’s rainbow of fragments may shift and change, revealing a fascinating display of light and dark colors.
Check out these opal facts and folklore:
- Romans thought that the opal was the most precious and powerful of all gemstones because it has the colors of other gems.
- The Bedouins, a nomadic Arabian in the desert region of North Africa, believed that opals contained lightning and fell from the sky during thunderstorms.
- Aboriginal tribes in Australia (where many Opals were mined from 1890) were said to believe that opals were the Creator’s footprints on Earth.
- Opals are said to help to control temper and calm nerves.
- A dream of an opal means that good luck will come. However, some people think it’s unlucky for anyone born in another month to wear an opal. The superstition comes from the novel Anne of Geierstein written by Sir Walter Scott in the 1800s, and not from any ancient belief or experience.
- Necklaces with opals set in them were worn to repel evil and to protect eyesight.
If you’re shopping for an October birthday girl, Opal jewelry is a must buy! Consider elegant opal earrings, a gorgeous opal ring, or an opal pendant.
Check out our Opal offerings here >>>
Check out EK Jewelers in Gillette, Wyoming for all your opal birthstone jewelry needs. We can create a custom opal piece that is sure to stun your loved one!